Advertisement
question

What should I do if my child swallows a small toy?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
answer
What to do depends on what your child swallowed. If they swallowed a small plastic toy and do not seem to be at all bothered by it, you can first call your pediatrician and ask if they'd rather you make an appointment with them or go to the emergency room. However, if your child swallowed anything sharp, potentially harmful (like liquids), batteries, or magnets, then you should take them to the ER. In addition, if your child has any symptoms of choking or difficulty breathing or swallowing, then you should go to the ER. Often, children also stick things into their nose or ears, and you can use the same rule -- if they're not bothered by it (and it was something non-sharp like a crayon or food), then you can call your pediatrician first. When in doubt (especially if it's something like a bead in their nose that they could potentially inhale), or if you cannot reach your pediatrician, go to the ER to have it removed.  

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency? Learn more from our experts.
More Answers
What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1?
What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1? When you call for help, be ready to...
More Answers
What should I do if I have determined that an emergency scene is unsafe?
What do I do if I have see that an emergency scene is unsafe? Learn more from our experts.
More Answers
How should I care for someone with a sudden illness?
How should I care for someone with a sudden illness? Care for sudden illnesses by following the same...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.