What steps would a reasonable and prudent person take in an emergency?

A reasonable and prudent person would:

• Check for life-threatening conditions 
  • Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number 
  • Continue care until more highly trained personnel take over

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
The best thing to do in an emergency is to call for help. The best way to call for help is to contact 9-1-1. The 9-1-1 operator can then direct you on how to assist. If you are trained in first aid or CPR you can apply your training to the situation as appropriate.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How do I interview an injured or ill person to find out what happened?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Remember to first identify yourself and to get the person’s consent to give care. Begin by asking th...
How can I tell whether my child's medical problem is an emergency?
A pediatric emergency is any unforeseen, sudden situation during which you truly believe that your c...
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops
What to Do When Someone’s Heart Stops