What should I do if my child swallows a coin?

As long as your child is acting normally (i.e., can breathe and talk and drink fine), try not to panic. Most coins smaller than a quarter will pass right through without getting stuck. Touch base with your pediatrician, who may advise you to check your child’s stool for a few days until you find the coin. If it doesn’t come out the other end, a doctor may have to go looking for it. A simple x-ray film can tell exactly where the coin is and whether a specialist needs to retrieve it. If your child is in diapers, it’s easy to search for loose change. If he is toilet trained, have him go on a paper plate, or loosely plastic-wrap the toilet to catch the poop. Isn’t parenting fun?
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a chest injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for any open or closed chest wound, especially if the p...
When is it ok to stop giving first aid care in an emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
In general, you should give care until: You see a sign of life, such as breathing EMS personnel ta...
How Lifesaving CPR Works
How Lifesaving CPR Works