question

Is it safe to use an AED on a person laying on a metal surface?

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
answer
It is safe to deliver a shock to a person in cardiac arrest when he or she is lying on a metal surface, such as bleachers, as long as appropriate safety precautions are taken.

Specifically, care should be taken that defibrillation electrode pads do not contact the conductive (metal) surface and that no one is touching the person when the shock button is pressed.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1?
What information should I give the call taker when I call 9-1-1? When you call for help, be ready to...
What should I do if my child swallows a small toy?
If your child swallows a toy, call your doctor and try to get an office appointment or see what your...
What should I do if my child swallows a coin?
What should I do if my child swallows a coin? Learn more from our experts
What will emergency medical services (EMS) need to know when I call?
What will emergency medical services (EMS) need to know when I call? When you call Emergency Medical...