Is it safe to use an AED on someone wearing jewelry or with body piercings?

You do not need to remove jewelry and body piercings when using an AED.
Leaving them on the person will do no harm. Taking time to remove them will delay giving the first shock.

Therefore, do not delay the use of an AED to remove jewelry or body piercings. However, do not place the AED pads directly over metallic jewelry or body piercings. Adjust AED pad placement if necessary.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Medical Emergencies & Conditions

Avoid Unnecessary Trips to the Emergency Department
In the movie Pay It Forward, the storyline is all about doing good deeds for strangers who, in turn, pass on a good deed to someone they don’t know. O...
How should I prepare for heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events?
The best way to prevent heat-related illness at outdoor sporting events is hydration, hydration, hyd...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for an asthma attack?
Worsening asthma symptoms need a quick appointment with the doctor. But if your symptoms become seve...
How to Make a Makeshift Bat and Survival Bag