When does the sense of smell develop in a fetus?

It used to be that scientists believed fetuses had about as much of a sense of smell as they had a sense of fashion; that's because smelling typically depends on such basics as air and breathing. Now, though, it's believed that amniotic fluid jets though the nasal and oral cavities to actually help a fetus smell. That ability starts at about 30 weeks; before that time, tissues plug up the nasal cavities.

The sense of smell begins developing much earlier, as olfactory epithelial cells form in a fetus at 9 weeks along with nostrils. These cells connect to molecules that bind with the olfactory nerve (which leads to the brain).

After your baby develops a sense of smell, he can actually smell everything that you eat or inhale. The lesson: Mom should eat what she wants her baby to like to smell.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

How often should I feel my baby move during pregnancy?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
Most healthy babies should take less than two hours for 10 kicks. Every baby is different. Keeping t...
What should I do if I can't feel my baby move during the third trimester?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
If you cannot feel the baby move during kick counts in the third trimester, drink a glass of juice o...
How do doctors know if the unborn baby has breathing problems?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Breathing problems will not become apparent until the infant does in fact start to breathe air. Pren...
What are some effects of poor fetal nutrition?
In utero, if you feed your baby fewer nutrients, you're programming your child to expect an environm...