When does the sense of smell develop in a fetus?

It used to be that scientists believed fetuses had about as much of a sense of smell as they had a sense of fashion; that's because smelling typically depends on such basics as air and breathing. Now, though, it's believed that amniotic fluid jets though the nasal and oral cavities to actually help a fetus smell. That ability starts at about 30 weeks; before that time, tissues plug up the nasal cavities.

The sense of smell begins developing much earlier, as olfactory epithelial cells form in a fetus at 9 weeks along with nostrils. These cells connect to molecules that bind with the olfactory nerve (which leads to the brain).

After your baby develops a sense of smell, he can actually smell everything that you eat or inhale. The lesson: Mom should eat what she wants her baby to like to smell.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What role do T cells and B cells play in fetal immunity?
A fetus's early immunity comes in the form of T cells and the primitive Toll-Like Receptors (TLRs), ...
What is the difference between gestational age and fetal age?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
When we start talking about the length of pregnancy and the age of the baby, it can sometimes be...
Could my baby's brain be damaged by pollution exposure in the womb?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Yes, your baby’s brain could be damaged by pollution in the womb. Two new studies published recently...
Which synaptic connections are formed first in a baby's brain development?
Interestingly, synaptic connections are formed in a particular order. First come the primary sen...