How are fingerprints formed in the womb?

Innumerable environmental factors influence the formation of fingerprints, including the exact position of the fetus in the womb at a particular moment and the exact composition and density of surrounding amniotic fluid that's swirling around the fingers as they touch surrounding structures. And that's what decides how every individual ridge will form. The entire development process is so chaotic that, in the entire course of human history, there is virtually no chance of the same exact pattern forming twice.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

What can my baby sense in the womb?
You may think, as your baby grows inside of you, that he's floating around in a muted, dark place th...
How does music affect a developing fetus?
We encourage you to listen to all kinds of music during and after pregnancy. This will help stimulat...
Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. Howeve...
When do sebaceous glands form?
Sebaceous glands (which excrete sebum, the body's natural protective oils) begin to form in the four...