How are fingerprints formed in the womb?

Innumerable environmental factors influence the formation of fingerprints, including the exact position of the fetus in the womb at a particular moment and the exact composition and density of surrounding amniotic fluid that's swirling around the fingers as they touch surrounding structures. And that's what decides how every individual ridge will form. The entire development process is so chaotic that, in the entire course of human history, there is virtually no chance of the same exact pattern forming twice.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Mom’s Sweet Tooth Puts Babies at Risk of Asthma
“What took you so long?” a pregnant Lucy asks Ricky on an episode of I Love Lucy. “There’s only one store in New York City that makes a papaya juice m...
How fast does a brain develop in utero?
The pace at which a baby's neural network is built is truly mind boggling: In utero, brains buil...
Which tests can diagnose impairment in my fetus?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Three types of tests screen for or diagnose potential impairments in the fetus are:-The first type i...
How do doctors know if the unborn baby has breathing problems?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
Breathing problems will not become apparent until the infant does in fact start to breathe air. Pren...