Why do I sometimes get bright wavy lines in my vision?

Your symptoms sound suspicious for an ophthalmic migraine (migraine without a headache). An ophthalmic migraine often includes zigzag lines, colored lights, or flashes of lights expanding to one side of your vision over 10 to 30 minutes. While what you described is not likely to be a sign of a more serious problem, you should consider scheduling an evaluation with your local Eye M.D..

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

The Gross Truth About Swimming Pools and Your Eyes
Swimming and water aerobics are great ways to stay fit, especially for people with chronic pain—whether it's everyday joint pain or an illness like fi...
What do multifocal and accommodative IOLs do to clear vision?
Dr. Alan J. Margolis, MDDr. Alan J. Margolis, MD
Prior to undergoing cataract surgery, your ophthalmologist will perform a variety of tests and exami...
10 Things Your Vision Reveals About Your Health
10 Things Your Vision Reveals About Your Health10 Things Your Vision Reveals About Your Health10 Things Your Vision Reveals About Your Health10 Things Your Vision Reveals About Your Health
Changes in your vision may be signs of other medical conditions.
What Is the Mission of the American Academy of Ophthalmology?