What should I do If my child gets poked in the eye with an object?

If your child gets poked in the eye with an object he or she should be evaluated by a medical professional, unless there is virtually no pain, redness or change in vision. Common eye injuries include abrasions (scratches) or the presence of a foreign body. More serious is a true cut or puncture of the eye itself. Also, the eye can bleed internally, which requires urgent medical attention.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

You Can Prevent Eye Disease
You Can Prevent Eye Disease
Keep Your Eyes on the Prize, a civil rights anthem from the 1950s recorded by everyone from Pete Seeger to Bruce Springsteen, calls for folks to pay a...
Are viral eye infections serious?
Viral eye infections are the most common type of eye infection, but how serious a viral eye infectio...
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?Should You Take Supplements for Your Eyes?
When it comes to nourishing your vision, a good diet trumps dietary supplements–for most of us.
What Advantages Do New Surgeons Have in Terms of Training?