Can I wear contact lenses if my eyes are irritated?

This is a difficult question to answer because there are so many different conditions that can cause irritation. But as a rule of thumb, it is better to remove the contact lens. Most of the time, the contact lens is the cause of the irritation or somehow related to the irritation.

The important problems include infection, tight lens, toxicity from solutions, abrasions, and contact lens tears. These are all conditions where you should remove the lens even if the pain becomes worse with removal. Sometimes your eye doctor will insert a contact lens to treat certain ocular problems, but these lenses are different and are not cosmetic lenses.

If you have irritation with a contact lens in place, it should be removed, and if the irritation persists, you should see your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) immediately because this could be a serious problem.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
Clear Insight: How to Prevent Cataracts
When Little Red Riding Hood exclaimed, “My Grandma, what big eyes you have,” the Big Bad Wolf replied, “The better to see you with my dear.” “But, Gra...
How do eyelash growth abnormalities affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In general, eyelash growth disorders only affect the eyes. The effect that an eyelash growth abnorma...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
Advances in Cataract Surgery and the Future of Eye Care