Is the urethra involved in having an erection?

The urethra is a tube that allows urine from the bladder to be removed from the body. In a man, the urethra, which is located in the penis, also carries semen ejaculated during climax. While getting and maintaining an erection is necessary for ejaculation, the urethra is not involved in arousal or in sexual function.  
The urethra, which is inside the tube-like corpus spongiosum in your penis, is not directly involved in having an erection. The urethra carries urine when you pee. When you have sex, the urethra carries the semen you ejaculate. Different tube-like structures, the corpora cavernosa, one on either side of the urethra, are responsible for filling up with blood during sexual excitation and causing the erection itself.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Sex Therapy Is Not What You Think—Here’s Why
Let’s face it, for many couples, there are times when the fireworks may fizzle a little—or a lot. There may be relationship issues that get in the way...
What is the best way to get out of a sex rut?
Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MDHilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
Once you’re in a sex rut, it can be tricky to get out. A useful piece of advice: Just do it. Are you...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?