How is it possible to gain a lot of weight overnight?

Suddenly gaining more than 4 to 5 pounds of weight overnight may be a sign of a serious condition that should be addressed by a medical professional.  Generally, overnight weight gain is usually caused from fluid retention.  Consuming foods that are high in sodium (such as salt) can cause the body to hold on to water. 

It's not possible to gain a lot of weight over the course of one night. However, your weight may vary by a few pounds from day to day or even within the same day. This doesn't necessarily mean you're any fatter or leaner.

The truth is that daily fluctuations on the scale are completely normal. Body weight will shift a bit depending on the status of your body's fluids and solids (e.g., how much food and water you've consumed, bowel movements, urination, and sweat rate).

Try not to get too fixated on your daily weight. And when you do weigh yourself, try to make sure you do so under similar conditions each time (e.g., time of day, before exercise, before meals).
Gaining a lot weight overnight is possible, but it is most likely not fat gained. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what can cause a sudden jump in the scale.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Buddy Up For Better Health
Buddy Up For Better Health
In an episode of the 90s sitcom News Radio, co-anchor Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman) wants to stop smoking, while news director Dave Nelson (Dave Foley) i...
Can playing video games help me lose weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
As an avid video game junkie myself I will say that one of the only times in life where I can go for...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike
A Fun Way to Lose Weight: Ride a Bike