What are strengthening exercises for ulnar hand (claw hand)?

Ulnar hand (claw hand) develops due to a weakness of the deep muscles of your hand. To improve the strength of these muscles, you will need to work on gripping objects. This can be done with objects around the house. Start small with objects that can be easily held and squeezed with light resistance. Examples of these objects include stress balls and pillows. Then work your way up to a tennis ball. Squeeze these objects with two to three fingers at a time to improve the strength of each individual finger. Additionally it is always a good idea to see your doctor for follow-up evaluation and for possible referral to a certified athletic trainer who can outline a progression of exercises for you.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Exercise & Muscles

Why do I need to stretch my muscles as I age?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The truth is that by and large, the active agers and athletes who come into my office with repetitiv...
How do I strengthen my shoulder muscles?
You can strengthen your shoulder muscles by doing a standing side lift exercise using free weights.M...
Use a Foam Roller to Stretch Knotted Sore Muscles
What Types of Exercise Will Help Me Build Long, Lean Muscle?