Why is it important to stretch my hamstrings as I get older?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
You have all seen elderly people walking around with bent knees all stooped over. While there can be many reasons for this, one big reason people start walking with bent knees is shortening of the hamstrings. The hamstrings are the large muscles in the back of your leg that connect your pelvis to your lower leg. Hamstrings act as the rubber band that flexes your knee during walking or, more powerfully, during exercise. After years in a crinkled state, muscles like hamstrings get shorter. The thigh bone (femur), however, does not get shorter, so the only way you can make the distance between the pelvis and lower leg shorter is to bend your knees. Well, you can't walk with bent knees and straight hips, so to compensate, you bend your hips forward and, before you know it, you are walking around with a stooped gait -- looking old.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Exercise & Muscles

How can the trapezius-strengthening exercise ease shoulder pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The trapezius-strengthening exercise targets key muscles that help move and stabilize the scapula (s...
What can I do if carrying my kids has put my body out of alignment?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
This is a common issue and something we see a lot in our studios. At barre3 we focus on balance ...
What exercises build strength and flexibility?
Just about all styles of yoga build strength and flexibility. However, you can focus on forms of Eas...
Why do I need to stretch my muscles as I age?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
The truth is that by and large, the active agers and athletes who come into my office with repetitiv...