How can I know if my erection problems are physical or psychological?

When dealing with erectile problems or erectile dysfunction the cause may not be clear. However, there are some basic ways to gain a better sense of what might he might be experiencing. To do this, a man can think about how his body responds in various situations.

The first assignment is to assess what medications a man is taking that may interfere with his sexual functioning.

The second assignment is to take note if he has an erection during the night or upon awakening. This body response is known as nocturnal penile tumescence and can indicate that he's able to have an erection. If a guy isn't sure, he can wrap a very thin and narrow piece of tissue paper around his flaccid penis, secured with a little bit of scotch tape. It's likely that if he has an erection when he's sleeping the paper will break to some degree. If a guy easily gets an erection during sleep, but not in other situations, the cause is likely psychological. If however, he can't tell or an erection isn't happening, the reason is likely physical.

The third assignment is for a man to consider his experience with masturbation. If a guy can get aroused when he's alone and not when he's with a partner, the cause is psychological.

While these are only three basic facets of physical and psychological causes they can help determine what type of expert to contact in an effort to understand what is going on and who to see for help.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Why did my doctor ask me if I woke up with an erection in the morning?
Your doctor asked you whether you woke up with an erection because that's a great clue to the ca...
When should I seek medical advice for erectile dysfunction?
If you are having problems with erectile dysfunction (ED) it would be a good idea to get medical adv...
Do all older men have erectile dysfunction?
While some men never have erectile dysfunction, many men do experience ED with aging.  
What Medications Are Used to Treat Erectile Dysfunction?