What types of doctors treat erectile dysfunction?

Most primary care doctors are comfortable treating patients with oral medications for ED, such as Viagra, Levitra and Cialis.  However, if you have had prostate, bladder or rectal surgery or radiation, you should seek a urologist to discuss the oral medications and various other treatment modalities that may work better for you, with lower side effects and cost.
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
Doctors who can help you aren't exactly going to have" ED Doctor" hanging from their shingle outside their office. But a variety of professionals can offer you help and treatment for your erectile dysfunction (ED), the inability to get and maintain erection during sex. Start with your primary care physician. He knows all about you and your health and can talk with you about your medical history, current problems, and other factors that may be short-circuiting your sexual desire and performance. If he finds that your ED is due to physical causes, your doctor may refer you to a urologist, a doctor who specializes in the health of male reproductive organs. If your condition is chalked up to mental causes, your doctor may refer you to a psychologist for counseling and therapy. No matter which type of doctor you see, shelve any embarrassment or ego issues, and be open and honest about your symptoms and how ED is impacting your life.
There are various types of doctors who you can go and speak with initially regarding erectile dysfunction. These include:
  • your own general practitioner or family doctor
  • a urologist or someone who specializes in genitourinary medicine
  • a specialist in sexual medicine
  • a cardiologist, endocrinologist etc., (who may have become your primary care physician because of prior or concomitant medical conditions)

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Treatment

What should I know before taking a PDE-5 inhibitor?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you take a PDE-5 inhibitor, you should avoid grapefruit juice. If you have a bleeding disorder, ...
More Answers
How can the relaxation response help my erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Achieving relaxation through the relaxation response is important in helping you reduce emotional st...
More Answers
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life
Is It Important to Look For Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
Is It Important to Look For Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.