What are the components of emotional health?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Emotional health is comprised of emotional intelligence and emotional regulation. Emotional intelligence describes your ability to identify your emotions, express them, and use your awareness of your emotions and their causes to promote personal growth. Emotional regulation deals with your ability to influence the emotions you have, when you have them, and how often. The common term "attitude" is related to emotional regulation. These two components affect your ability to adapt to your environment, interact socially with others, and participate in normal daily activities, your overall attitude toward life, and the way you cope with stress.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Loneliness Can Hurt Your Health More Than You Think
In the 2000 film Cast Away, Tom Hanks played Chuck Noland, a man stranded on an island for four years. Noland finds a volleyball from the wreckage of ...
How Can I Get Out of a Bad Mood?
How Can I Get Out of a Bad Mood?
How Divorce Affects Your Sleep and Blood Pressure
What Is Self-Injury?
What Is Self-Injury?