How is spatial neglect due to a stroke treated?

Patient education is vital to treatment of spatial neglect: it is important for the person to acknowledge, at least to some degree, that he or she is ignoring one side of the environment. A cognitive therapist may teach a person to avoid obstacles on the side of the body with neglect, or to locate silverware on one side of the plate. A speech and language pathologist may place a red line down the side of a book to help the person's eyes track all the way to that marker while reading. Caregivers and family members can help by setting important objects (food, writing implements) on the neglected side of the patient to train the patient to focus more on that side.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

What are common complications of stroke?
SCAISCAI
A stroke occurs when either an artery leading to the brain is blocked (ischemic stroke) or as a resu...
Can I drive after a stroke?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
Many people can drive after a stroke. Whether or not a person can drive after a stroke depends on th...
Can my vision return after a stroke?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
Generally this type of damage is permanent. However, the patient can often adapt and function well. ...
What are the effects of having a stroke?
The effects of a stroke will vary depending on the part of the brain and the amount of brain tissue ...