How is spatial neglect due to a stroke treated?

Patient education is vital to treatment of spatial neglect: it is important for the person to acknowledge, at least to some degree, that he or she is ignoring one side of the environment. A cognitive therapist may teach a person to avoid obstacles on the side of the body with neglect, or to locate silverware on one side of the plate. A speech and language pathologist may place a red line down the side of a book to help the person's eyes track all the way to that marker while reading. Caregivers and family members can help by setting important objects (food, writing implements) on the neglected side of the patient to train the patient to focus more on that side.

Continue Learning about Effects of Stroke

What dangers do strokes pose?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A stroke occurs when arteries carrying blood to the brain are blocked by a clot or rupture, causing ...
Can the side effects of a stroke worsen before receiving emergency care?
The effects of a stroke can worsen before the person receives emergency care. Any delay in the treat...
What are common complications of stroke?
SCAISCAI
A stroke occurs when either an artery leading to the brain is blocked (ischemic stroke) or as a resu...
What should I do if I am feeling depressed after a stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
We all get sad from time to time. We tell ourselves or someone we love to “look at the bright side,”...