question

Are my parent's dental needs met in a nursing home?

American Dental Association
American Dental Association
answer

Every nursing home is different when it comes to oral care. That's why it's important for you to do a little research when it comes to selecting a nursing home for you or someone you love. For instance, some nursing homes schedule dentists and dental teams to come and provide care on the premises. In other cases, you may need to arrange visits yourself or may need to drive your loved one to the office. The most important thing to keep in mind as we get older is that good dental care still matters. 

RealAge
RealAge
answer

Nursing homes and assisted living facilities may or may not have some sort of oral health programs. Ask your parent's care facility what oral health care they offer, you may need to help your mother get the dental health care she needs and deserves. Poor oral health has been reported for elderly patients in nursing homes and assisted living facilities across the nation and world.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

A Health Drink for Your Teeth
A Health Drink for Your Teeth
Which is better for your teeth—orange juice or tea? Turns out that OJ ranks right up there with soda in terms of its enamel-damaging potential. But t...
Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Does Your Gum Have Vitamin C?
Snapping and popping gum remain image busters -- just ask Britney Spears watchers. But here's a good excuse for discreet chewing: less blood at the de...
How to Choose the Right Toothbrush
How to Choose the Right Toothbrush
With any important task, having the right tool can make all the difference. When it comes to toothbrushes, though, it can be hard to know which type i...
Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black?
Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black? The most likely source of the problem...