Should plastic surgery be performed in a hospital?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Of utmost importance is safety and predictable results with each and every patient's surgery. As a diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, it is my responsibility to make sure that each patient has surgery in the safest environment possible. In general, the majority of elective cosmetic surgical procedures and operations are performed in outpatient ambulatory surgical facilities. The majority of my body sculpting surgical procedures, including breast implants, revisions, reductions, abdominoplasty, and lipo contouring are done in our ambulatory facility, which is accredited by the State of California. Patients who, however, have systemic diseases or medical conditions including significant hypertension, diabetes, or asthma, or other disorders may, however, require inpatient hospitalization. Most elective procedures are not covered by insurance and, therefore, performing cosmetic surgical procedures is extraordinarily expensive, and often not practical.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Why might I want to have plastic surgery after bariatric surgery?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The most rapidly growing field in plastic surgery is called post-bariatric surgery body contouri...
How much will my plastic surgery cost?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Once you discuss your procedure in depth, talk about the cost and get a quote in writing. This helps...
What should I avoid before any cosmetic procedure?
Before you undergo any type of cosmetic or plastic surgery procedure, it is important to review the ...
How will I feel during a cosmetic laser procedure?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
It depends on the type of laser method:Fractionated laser: Even after an hour of numbing cream, this...