Can plastic surgery have a negative affect on my marriage?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
Plastic surgery can have a negative affect on any marriage especially if both parties do not fully agree on getting the surgery. Patients with body dysmorphic disorder may become obsessed with their appearance and greatly/negatively affect their marriage and other relationships.
J.Lucy Boyd
Epidemiology

Cosmetic surgery can have a negative effect of your marriage if both parties don't fully agree on getting the surgery. A husband may secretively believe that his wife is getting breast implants to increase her attractiveness to other men, for example. Alternatively, a wife may get breast implants at her husband's encouragement and always wonder why she wasn't "good enough" as she was. Adverse effects from surgery can further strain marital relations.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Plastic surgery can have a negative affect on any marriage. However, in general if both parties on the same wavelength and understand the changes and transformation that will take place, there is usually excitement and contentment. Patients with body dysmorphic disorder may become obsessed with their appearance and greatly negatively affect their marriage and other relationships. 
Susan Evans
Dermatology
When someone becomes obsessed with plastic surgery, it becomes an overwhelming compulsion that can emotionally destroy them and their family and friends. Take an extreme example for a moment, and imagine taking your wife to dinner but leaving the house 2 hours late because of her extreme need to modify her appearance with makeup, breast enhancement clothing, girdles, and butt-tuckers.

During dinner, your wife can’t stop talking about the appointment she has with a plastic surgeon and continuously checks her appearance in the back of her spoon. For the person obsessed with plastic surgery, there is nothing else worth discussing. For the spouse, there is no reason to stay in the restaurant, let alone the relationship.

Not only does plastic surgery obsession drain the emotion out of a relationship, it can drain your bank account. Cosmetic surgery is expensive, and for the person who feels compelled to “do it all,” it can destroy all financial security and even leave a deficit. Maxing out credit cards and depleting savings accounts may pay for all of the surgery, but it will not leave much for divorce court.

Continue Learning about Cosmetic Surgery

Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
Congratulations on losing weight! Unfortunately, your battle of the bulge may not be over just yet. That’s because substantial weight loss can leave b...
What factors should I consider when deciding on plastic surgery?
Robert T. Grant, MDRobert T. Grant, MD
If you're pondering plastic surgery, there are a number of important factors to consider. Learn how ...
What are the risks of otoplasty?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Besides the risks that can occur with any surgery, if bleeding occurs with the otoplasty (proced...
How Can I Make My Lips Fuller?
How Can I Make My Lips Fuller?