question

Can I get the same hydration from coffee as I do water?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
answer

Yes, or at least very close. Coffee, as I am sure you know from making it or watching it being made, is almost all water and it enters the body just like a glass of water. No one advises you to take all your daily fluid requirements through a coffee drink but at the end of the day the water from those drinks counts towards your fluid total and helps hydrate you. Drinking large amounts of caffeinated drinks can cause you to urinate more often in order to remove excess caffeine but it’s only a matter of putting it back when you get thirsty (just like when you drink lots of water frequently, you urinate more). It is a long-standing myth that coffee or tea lead to a net water loss. Enjoy your coffee and count it in your daily fluid needs. Fluid requirements for healthy sedentary adults living in temperate climates are as follows: Men 125 oz (~3qts) of water per day from all dietary sources; Women 91 oz (~2qts) of water per day from all dietary sources. Avout 20% of your fluid requirements will come from foods you eat. Athletes and exercisers need more.

Continue Learning about Coffee & Health

How Much Coffee Is Too Much?
How Much Coffee Is Too Much?
Whether you’re curling up with a cup of joe or getting comfy with a cold brew, studies show your daily coffee habit may impart numerous health benefit...
Serve Your Coffee This Way for Antioxidants
You could be putting a stranglehold on coffee's health perks by stirring in the wrong stuff. So consider these rules: no nondairy creamer, and go easy...
Are There Really Health Benefits to Drinking Coffee?
It seems like there are few foods that get as much attention in the popular press as coffee. And it stands to reason: As America’s most popular drink ...
Can drinking coffee in the morning cause fatigue later in the day?
Can drinking coffee in the morning cause fatigue later in the day? Many of us turn to coffee or tea ...