What is hospice care for the elderly?

Jamie McGinn

Hospice care not only treats the elderly, but treats anyone with a terminal disease with a life expectancy of less than six months who is no longer seeking curative treatment. Hospice care is provided by a separate agency that provides a nurse, social worker, spiritual care, nursing aids, and volunteers for the patients and the family. Services can be received in a home, in a nursing facility, in a hospice home, or in a in-patient hospital unit.

Hospice helps to prepare the family and patient for a comfortable and compassionate end-of-life experience and transition to death. They also provide bereavement services to the family for months after the patient has passed.

Hospice supports the family and patient in their needs, whatever they are, in making sure the patient is as comfortable as possible. They work with additional clinicians as needed including physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and dietitians.

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
Hospice care for the elderly may be provided in the home or a senior care facility. Services can include pain management and a variety of emotional, spiritual and physical support issues. There is a misconception that hospice care is not provided or paid for in long-term care facilities and that it is just an in-home program.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Caregiving