What can I do if a guardian is not acting in his ward's best interests?

If you suspect that a guardian is not acting in the best interests of his or her care recipient (ward), you can report misconduct or suspicion of misconduct to a judge. The court can then determine whether the appointed guardian is fulfilling his or her responsibilities. If not, the judge can remove the guardian from responsibility and appoint someone else. 

Also, the care recipient can petition the judge for certain rights, such as to participate in groups or decide what setting to live in. Furthermore, if the care recipient's guardian has consented to medical care, he or she or another interested party can ask for a hearing to determine whether it’s really in his or her best interest.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

A Life-Changing Decision: Caring for an Aging Parent
“Like so many caregivers, I arrived at my caregiving role accidentally,” says Shelley Webb. Webb became a full-time family caregiver when she brought ...
What are some of the challenges facing people who care for aging relatives?
The caregiver role may be difficult, especially if you are caring for a family member with dementia ...
What can I do to make sure my loved one goes to a good nursing home?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
To make sure your loved one goes to a good nursing home, you can do the following:  Take time to ...
What Is Hospice Care for Cancer Patients?