My spouse is ill, but we need to talk about medical bills, what can I do?

An ill spouse may be unwilling or unable to handle medical bills along with health issues and may be reluctant to talk about financial matters. This may leave a great deal of responsibility on your shoulders as a caregiver. You may have to figure out how to best communicate with your partner. If your spouse is able, set a specific time aside to discuss these concerns, instead of bringing them up regularly.

When it comes to expressing your concerns, try writing them down in a journal instead of overwhelming your spouse with them all at once. Then, you can choose which ones are worth talking about.

When speaking directly to a loved one who is ill, try to speak in a softer tone and use "I" statements. Also, don't forget to ask how he or she feels. It's important to treat your partner like an adult.

Don't be afraid to ask for outside help. Perhaps there is another family member or a friend who is skilled at finances who can help with the paperwork.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
How to Avoid “Caregiver Burnout"
Caregiver burnout is a very real form of physical, emotional and mental exhaustion. It can show up as a change in attitude or withdrawal from friends ...
What Is Hospice Care for Cancer Patients?
How Important Are Alternative Sites of Care?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?