How can I protect a senior parent or loved one from financial fraud?

If you have a senior parent or loved one, you can protect him or her from financial fraud in the following ways:
  • Have your loved one check his or her direct deposit account frequently.
  • Put his or her phone number on the do-not-call list (1-888-382-1222).
  • Warn your loved one that banks do not call and ask for account numbers or other financial information for “verification” purposes. If unsure, a good response is to ask for the caller’s name and number and call him back.
  • Ignore direct mail offers.
  • Ignore lottery or contest-winning notifications.
  • Remind your loved one to keep track of which bills he or she has paid and not to pay bills that don’t seem legitimate.
  • Inform your loved one that there are Medicare drug card scams and that legitimate plans are not sold over the phone or door-to-door. Nor do legitimate plans require financial information as part of the application process. Call Medicare directly to get a list of approved plans (1-800-Medicare).
  • Talk about powers of attorney early, when everyone is in a position to make lucid, clear decisions. All too often, predators con seniors into signing over their decision-making rights via a power of attorney and then deplete the senior’s financial assets. Beware. Sadly, these predators can be family members.
  • If your loved one has been contacted about a reverse mortgage opportunity, contact the Federal Housing Authority (FHA) to ensure that the opportunity is not a scam.
  • It’s always better to be proactive than reactive. Talk candidly with your loved one about current and future needs. Research available options so that he or she is not in a position that would force a bad decision.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Depression Caregiver Stress
Depression Caregiver Stress
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, each year an estimated 17 million adult Americans suffer from depression. If you're the primary ...
How can I deal with anger from an aging parent with cognitive impairment?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
To deal with anger from aging parents with cognitive impairment, recognize that the anger is likely ...
How would I utilize a Geriatric Care Manager?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Geriatric Care Managers (GCMs) are professionals in the health care industry who either have a degre...
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?