How many people live in nursing homes in the U.S.?

Goldina Erowele
Caregiving

According to the CDC:

Nursing Home Care data from 2004 
  • Number of nursing homes: 16,100
  • Number of beds: 1.7 million
  • Occupancy rate: 86 percent
  • Number of current residents: 1.5 million
  • Average length of time since admission (current residents): 835 days

About 1.5 million people live in nursing homes in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And more than 10 million Americans — mostly people 65 or older — need long-term services and support to help them with daily activities, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
The number of long stay nursing home residents (90 days or longer) declined from 1.21 million to 1.06 million between 1999 and 2004. Half of long-term care residents can be considered long stay or permanent residents. They are primarily over 85 (53%) female (76%) and widowed (60%). Overall there are 1.6 million people in nursing homes.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Stage III Lung Cancer and Caregiver Burnout
Being a caregiver for a friend, family member or loved one who has been diagnosed with stage III lung cancer can be rewarding. It can also be confusin...
How can I adapt family celebrations for a loved one with dementia?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
Since crowds, noise, and altering routines can aggravate confusion and other behavioral problems in ...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
What's the Best Thing I Can Do for a Loved One Who Has Multiple Sclerosis?