How do I know if I need to get help as a caregiver?

It is a sign that a caregiver needs help when he or she is unable to handle a situation. Caregivers may become so over-stressed that they are counterproductive and not taking care of their own needs or the patient's needs. This is when they have to find a means of getting help.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Helen Lavretsky, MD
Neurologist

The best way to know if you need to get help as a caregiver for someone with dementia is to ask yourself how you feel. Do you sleep? Do you eat? Are you happy?

Sometimes, there are positive features to caregiving. Only 50% of caregivers are depressed, which means that 50% are not depressed. They find solace in their caregiving, as well as power. It’s an empowering task. Mastering different aspects of caregiving can be rewarding, as can trying to enjoy what you can with your relative with dementia or any other illnesses.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Tips When Researching Lung Cancer
When a loved one has cancer, you want to learn all that you can about the particular type of cancer, the ways it can be treated, and the everyday thin...
As a caregiver, how can I manage toileting the person I am caring for?
Tasks that we take for granted may take up a large portion of a caregiver's day. To cope, try so...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?