How can I find caregiver support programs?

Some programs designed to serve the care recipient can help the caregiver (e.g. meals being brought in, medical alert programs, like Lifeline, chore or homemaker services, adult day care, or home health care). Check with your healthcare provider to determine the types of programs, information, assistance, training and respite care offered by governmental and non-governmental organizations in your area. Good sources for this information also include the internet and your local library, or by contacting local, regional and state governments, as well as national programs.

You can also find additional resources from the informal support network you may have already established. For example, if you, or other extended family member like a mother or father, belong to a church, senior center, or service club, these organizations are often looking for ways to help others. Organizational newsletters are a great place to advertise your need for help.

While many services are available through local government agencies, service organizations, or faith-based organizations, employers are beginning to implement workplace support programs as one way to mitigate the impact that caregiving can have on workers.

Utilizing these resources where available will allow you to be able to maintain your role as a caregiver, whether providing care at home or assisting with out-of-home care. Some basic caregiver support services available in many areas include information, counseling, and support groups. Caregivers should take advantage of these support services; research has shown that using these services keeps caregivers healthier and in their caregiving roles longer, and with less stress and greater satisfaction.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
From changes in family relationships to financial stress, to the sheer amount of work involved, caring for a loved one with a health condition is a c...
How to Support a Loved One Who has a Mental Illness
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
What Is Hospice Care for Cancer Patients?