How can I decide if hospice is right for me?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Consider the unique advantages and disadvantages of hospice care to decide whether it is right for your situation.The decision about whether hospice care meets an individual's personal, physical and medical needs should be determined by the person who is ill and medical practitioners who are familiar with him or her. It may also be important to get input from family members and friends who may be responsible for providing some of the hospice care.

Hone your list of potential programs based on availability and services, and learn the right questions to ask to ensure that your needs will be met by the hospice staff. Visit the hospice and meet the staff. If you are young and healthy and only planning far ahead, maybe you will want to volunteer at a hospice.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Know the Signs: Caregiver Burnout
Caring for a loved one with a chronic illness can be an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. In addition to stressful hospital stays and office v...
How can I help a weak person get into a car?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Helping a weak or frail person get into a car with upholstered seats can be difficult. Try tucki...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
How Do You Inspire the Next Generation of Caregivers?