As a caregiver, what information should I bring to doctors' appointments?

Deb Cordes
Deb Cordes on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

As a caregiver, the information you should bring to the doctors appointment are:

1. A list of medications with the name, dosage, how often taken.

2. Any allergies that the patient may have.

3. Provide a complete and accurate description of why you have come to the appointment. e.g. Pain-where it is, what type, how long has the patient had the pain, any treatment that worked to alleviate it.

4. A list of questions that you and the patient need answered.

5. If you have been to another doctor for the same complaint. Bring all information from that doctor's visit such as test results, x-rays, medication or treatment's prescribed.

6. Make sure that at the end of the appointment you and the patient understand everything that the doctor has said. Be clear on what your role might be in following the plan of care for the patient.

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
From changes in family relationships to financial stress, to the sheer amount of work involved, caring for a loved one with a health condition is a c...
How Important Are Alternative Sites of Care?
How Should I Care for Myself As a Caregiver?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?
How Can I Avoid Caregiver Burnout?