What is the difference between a bruise and a contusion?

There is no difference between a bruise and a contusion. Contusion is the medical term for bruise.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bruises

How should I treat a shin bruise?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The shin is vulnerable and sensitive to contusions from blows or bumps because of the absence of...
Why does the elbow bruise easily?
It's easy to bruise your elbow because it has almost no padding. There is especially little padd...
How can I treat my child's bruises?
In order to treat your child's bruises you can use the same treatment method you'd use for an ad...
What should I do if I get a deep bruise on my elbow?
If you have a deep bruise, or contusion, on your elbow, you should immediately use ice and press...