Can herbal supplements increase the risk of bruising?

Certain supplements such as ginkgo biloba and ginseng can increase the risk of bruising. Watch as Dr. Oz talks about supplement and bruising.

Some herbal supplements may increase your risk of bruising. Herbs including gingko biloba, ginseng, ginger, glucosamine, turmeric, angelica and clove all have the potential to thin the blood slightly. This can make bruising more likely, especially if more than one of these herbs are taken together. In addition, if you're on a prescription medication that thins your blood, these herbal supplements may cause excessive blood thinning and bruising. Consult your doctor before taking any herbal supplements, and tell him about any supplements you already take.

Continue Learning about Bruises

How can I treat my child's bruises?
In order to treat your child's bruises you can use the same treatment method you'd use for an ad...
What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerab...
How should I manage a bruise?
A doctor or athletic trainer should inspect the bruise to rule out serious injuries. Then, the b...
How should I treat a shin bruise?
The shin is vulnerable and sensitive to contusions from blows or bumps because of the absence of...