What is diaphragmatic breathing?

Mike Luque
Fitness

Diaphragmic breathing is the root of all proper breathing technique and involves proper usage of the diaphragm to initiate the beginning, and deepest part, of your breath.

The diaphragm is a large sheet muscle that attaches underneath the lowest ribs and down the front of the spine. When it contracts, it pulls downward into your abdominal cavity. As it pulls down, it also creates a vacuum in the chest cavity that is filled by air entering your nose or mouth (preferably the nose). Hence, you inhale.

In our modern western culture, there are several factors that have led to most people not using their diaphragm correctly when breathing. Most notably among them is our sedentary, computer based lifestyle. Physiologically, we're hunter/gatherers. We're meant to be up and about, walking and running all day. We're not designed to be sitting all day with our eyes on a screen and our hands stuck in front of us on a keyboard and mouse. Entirely too frequently, this leads to dysfunctional breathing patterns. We tend to use the accessory breathing muscles in the neck to do all our inhaling, instead of our diaphragm. This is bad for posture, bad for circulation, bad for proper oxygenation of the blood... generally bad for being a physical human being.

To learn proper diaphragmic, or belly breathing, you can watch my video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqb8-bxykE

Practice, practice, practice. You'll notice improvements in your vitality, ability to keep healthy and posture.

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Diaphragmatic breathing is breathing into and filling the top two-thirds of the lungs and then breathing all the way down into the bottom third of the lungs. We also call this abdominal or pranic breathing. Abdominal breathing obviously does not mean that air enters the abdomen as you breathe, which is anatomically impossible. It simply means that as you breathe, you expand the abdominal muscles under the rib cage in the front and to the sides to permit the diaphragm to relax and move downward gently. Then, as the diaphragm lowers, you draw air deeper through the top two-thirds of the lungs and into the bottom third. Pranic breathing is a full, complete breath.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise:Starting position: Perform this exercise while standing....
How can I perform the Perfection Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the Perfection Breath Exercise:Starting position: Perform this exercise while standing. B...
How can I exercise with a paralyzed diaphragm?
Paralysis of the diaphragm is not common and symptoms can vary. Diaphragmatic paralysis can affect o...
What is the "Pushing the Sky" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for Pushing the Sky exercise:1. Stand erect but relaxed with arms extend...