What is clavicular breathing?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Clavicular breathing is breathing into the top third of the lungs and no deeper. Clavicular breathing is accomplished by raising the collarbone (clavicle) and shoulders during the inbreath and keeping the rest of the torso motionless. Clavicular breathing is the most shallow type of breathing. It brings oxygen into only the top third of your lungs.

Many women, particularly those who have had children, engage in clavicular breathing. Pregnancy makes it difficult for expectant mothers to breathe deeply, and the nine months of shallow breathing often ingrain the bad habit of breathing high and shallow even after childbirth. But many men are also clavicular breathers, particularly those who are overweight. Men with a “spare tire” have a slouching posture that inhibits deep breathing and they simply have never learned to draw breath any deeper into their lungs. In fact, many people take to smoking cigarettes partly because of the satisfying feeling that comes from pulling the oxygen - even more than the smoke - deeper into their lungs when they inhale. Pranic breathing can be an effective way to break the smoking habit.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How do I perform alternative nostril breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Sit in a chair or on a comfortable mat on the floor with your back straight. Essentially, what you w...
How can I perform obstacle breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Find an everyday drinking straw.Start paying attention to your “in breath" and "out breath."Take a b...
How do I practice deep breathing for relaxation?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
You can do a mini-relaxation anytime, anyplace. The only time that minis don’t work is when you ...
What are the various stages of progressive pranic breathing exercises?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
You will learn pranic breathing in a three-stage progressive exercise routine:1. Stretching and loos...