What is clavicular breathing?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Clavicular breathing is breathing into the top third of the lungs and no deeper. Clavicular breathing is accomplished by raising the collarbone (clavicle) and shoulders during the inbreath and keeping the rest of the torso motionless. Clavicular breathing is the most shallow type of breathing. It brings oxygen into only the top third of your lungs.

Many women, particularly those who have had children, engage in clavicular breathing. Pregnancy makes it difficult for expectant mothers to breathe deeply, and the nine months of shallow breathing often ingrain the bad habit of breathing high and shallow even after childbirth. But many men are also clavicular breathers, particularly those who are overweight. Men with a “spare tire” have a slouching posture that inhibits deep breathing and they simply have never learned to draw breath any deeper into their lungs. In fact, many people take to smoking cigarettes partly because of the satisfying feeling that comes from pulling the oxygen - even more than the smoke - deeper into their lungs when they inhale. Pranic breathing can be an effective way to break the smoking habit.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I limber up my respiration?
Pam GroutPam Grout
This cocktail is great at limbering up the oxygen passageways. Do this sequence once a day. Stand wi...
What are the various stages of progressive pranic breathing exercises?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
You will learn pranic breathing in a three-stage progressive exercise routine:1. Stretching and loos...
How can I perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise:Starting position: Perform this exercise while standing....
How do I practice deep breathing for relaxation?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To do deep breathing relaxation, sit in a stiff chair with your hands in your lap and feet on th...