What is rhythmic breathing?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Imagine if you were at work and your boss came into your office ranting and raving about a mistake that was made on your watch.  He pants, he even almost hyperventilates to get across how mad he is.  What would be likely to happen to you in this situation?  You'd probably feel mad, upset, guilty, or even completely worthless, right?  But what if there was a way to feel none of those things?

Your panting boss is an example of a person who is reacting to a situation with the full force of their emotions.  When we allow ourselves to be invested in the short, fast pants of a person who is like this, our emotions are far more likely to fall in line with theirs.  They are angry, so we react to that anger.  But, if instead of falling in line with their short, fast breaths we take slow breaths that utilize the full capacity of our lungs, we have completely separated ourselves from the rhythm of their emotions.  We haven't invested in their rhythm, so we are far less likely to invest in their emotions.

The term "rhythmic breathing" may mean different things to different people, but one particularly useful context for its usage is to describe the act of setting one's own rhythm for their breaths so that they are far less likely to be swept away by the emotionally charged rhythms of the people around them.

And that thing your boss was so angry about probably wasn't even your fault anyway.

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I learn to better control my breath?
Pam GroutPam Grout
As we begin to practice the pumping exercises, we become keenly aware of how much control we actuall...
How can I perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the Revitalizing Breath Exercise:Starting position: Perform this exercise while standing....
What are the different ways to breathe?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
One good breathing technique is to consciously breath in through your nose and out through your mout...
How can I limber up my respiration?
Pam GroutPam Grout
This cocktail is great at limbering up the oxygen passageways. Do this sequence once a day. Stand wi...