Why do I have body odor when I'm breastfeeding?

Body odor is most commonly caused by the breakdown of fatty excretions from the apocrine glands, which are located in the armpits, nipples and areolas, as well as the genitals. During breastfeeding, a mother may excrete different pheromones -- one theory is that these pheromones act as a way of communicating with the newborn and help with feeding and bonding. Another theory is that the infant's saliva may also contribute to a woman's body odor. While such changes in body odor due to breastfeeding are fairly common, they can easily be managed with washing and deodorants.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

The After-Birth Trick for Better Breastfeeding
When Mila Kunis, wife of Ashton Kutcher and star of Bad Moms, breastfed her now four-year-old Wyatt Isabelle in public, she had a straightforward answ...
When should I breastfeed my newborn?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips on timing your breastfeeding sessions:Breastfeed whenever your baby wakes up -- b...
Do I have to abstain from alcohol while breastfeeding?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You do not have to abstain from alcohol while breastfeeding but you should limit your alcohol consum...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?