What are the disadvantages of the armpit incision for breast augmentation?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Breast implants can be placed through incisions made under the breast in the crease, around the areola, in the armpit, or through the belly button.

While the armpit incision waxes and wanes in popularity, it has many associated problems. It eliminates scars from the breasts -- but it moves the scars to a more public location, under the arm. The scar is totally visible when the woman wears a bathing suit or a sleeveless shirt or dress. In 5% of people, the scars are red and raised. Even if the scars are perfect, little hair will grow along them, creating a noticeable rift in the stubble. A few women develop a numb area on the inside of their arm, and a small number will sustain a more serious nerve injury. Surgery performed through these incisions is harder to make symmetric; one breast could be higher than the other or off to the side. Finally, to assure a safe surgery, the scar must be longer than if made under the breasts.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

How do I prepare for a breast augmentation?
Tara WhitworthTara Whitworth
The most important thing you can do before any procedure is to educate yourself. Read through all in...
How can I avoid getting a rippled look when I have my breasts done?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Patients who have thin, ectomorphic or minimal amounts of breast tissue normally do well with silico...
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?
How Can I Prepare Myself for Breast Augmentation Surgery?