question

Why is my BMI score “obese” if I am a body builder with little body fat?

National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine
answer
There are some people for whom BMI is not an appropriate measurement device. In fact, BMI is used as a screening tool to identify possible weight problems for adults, but it is not a diagnostic tool. To determine if excess weight is a health risk for a person with a high BMI a healthcare provider performs further assessments. These assessments might include skin fold thickness measurements (or another assessment of body composition), diet, physical activity, family history, and other appropriate screenings. Your BMI may be high but you may not have a greater disease risk because your weight is not a result of high body fat.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Is Body Mass Index a Reliable Indictor of Health?
If you've been to see a healthcare provider (HCP) or had a biometric screening in recent years, you may have been told your body mass index (BMI). In ...
Does a normal body mass index (BMI) mean that I am healthy?
Does a normal body mass index (BMI) mean that I am healthy? Body mass index (BMI) is not a comprehen...
How do you interpret body mass index (BMI) for adults?
BMI is interpreted using standard weight status categories for adults 20 years old and older. Learn ...
How can I figure out my BMI?
How can I figure out my BMI? To determine your body mass index you must know your weight and your he...