question

Can a higher body mass index (BMI) be healthy?

Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert on behalf of Sharecare Fitness
Fitness
answer
BMI is an index of a person's weight in relation to height. It is a good tool used to determine health risks and mortality rates associated with excessive body weight. However, BMI does not differentiate between fat and lean body mass. Therefore, an individual who has a large amount of muscle mass may in fact have a BMI that places them in the overweight, or obese categories, even though they clearly have very little body fat. In such cases a high BMI can be healthy. However, a high BMI as a result of excessive body fat is not healthy. Health risks increase when BMI exceeds 25.0.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

What is the correlation between body fat and body weight?
Correctly stated, it is increased body fat that is associated with type 2 diabetes, not increased bo...
Why is my BMI score “obese” if I am a body builder with little body fat?
Why is my BMI score “obese” if I am a body builder with little body fat? The BMI is not a good indic...
What are the limitations of the body mass index (BMI) assessment?
What are the limitations of the body mass index (BMI) assessment? The body mass index is merely a ra...
Can I have a high BMI but a healthy body composition?
Can I have a high BMI but a healthy body composition? Yes, it is possible to have a healthy body com...