Can I have a high BMI but a healthy body composition?

Yes.  There are some individuals, particularly those who perform a lot of strength training, that are very muscular.  This would, of course, cause them to weigh more.  By weighing more, the BMI calculation might classify them as overweight or obese.  However, having large amounts of muscle mass relative to fat mass is healthy and fine.

Technically, yes you can. But for most Americans (and I mean almost all of us), I doubt it. To have a high BMI but a "healthy body composition," you must have lower body fat and a higher lean mass (muscle). To attain that body type, you must be training for it - and I mean training a lot and training hard - and living a specific lifestyle.

Most of us do not fall into that camp. So, chances are, if you have a high BMI, you are not healthy and need to lose some weight.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

BMI stands for body mass index and is a measure of height to weight. It doesn’t take into consideration body composition, age or gender. Therefore is not the most reliable measure for obesity. It is however, and good rule of thumb tool when trying to determine your health risks associated with weight.

A very fit person with higher amount of muscle mass may have a high BMI even though they are healthy a fit.

BMI Categories:

• Underweight = <18.5
  • Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
  • Overweight = 25–29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

1) To calculate your BMI measure your weight in pounds and height in inches. Then multiply the answer by 703

• [Weight / (height x height)] x 703 = BMI

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Weighty Matters: How Excess Weight Is Ruining Your Future—and Your Kids Future Too
One more time we’re weighing in on the goodness of maintaining a healthy weight. And we have some intriguing new insights into weighty matters—and inn...
How do you interpret body mass index (BMI) for adults?
Barbara Ficarra, RNBarbara Ficarra, RN
BMI is interpreted using standard weight status categories for adults 20 years old and older.  BM...
How is Body Mass Index (BMI) calculated?
Brigham and Womens Hospital TeamBrigham and Womens Hospital Team
Body mass index, or BMI, is a more accurate measure of overweight than weight alone for both women a...
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?