Why is my hemoglobin and/or hematocrit checked before giving blood?

Hematocrit and hemoglobin measurements are blood tests. Hemoglobin enables red cells to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide. The hemoglobin is checked before each donation to 
ensure that the donor has adequate red blood cell levels to donate blood. Blood donors must have a minimum of 12.5 g/dL hemoglobin or a hematocrit of 38% to be accepted for donation. The hematocrit is a measure of the volume that red blood cells take up in the blood. Most men have a hemoglobin of 12.5 g/dL or greater and a hematocrit above 38 percent, but many women naturally have lower hemoglobin/hematocrit levels. An abnormally low hemoglobin/hematocrit, which indicates anemia, can develop when a person either does not make enough red blood cells, loses blood from the body, or is iron-deficient. The most common cause of mild anemia is a low level of iron, which is needed to make red blood cells. Frequent blood donations and monthly blood loss in premenopausal women can contribute to a low iron level.
Most hemoglobin/hematocrit readings that are lower than the required level do not indicate the donor has serious health issues. Some donors naturally have lower levels, which causes them no harm. However, it does prevent them from being eligible blood donors. Other donors may be slightly anemic due to iron deficiency, and increasing their iron intake may boost their hemoglobin/hematocrit level. Donors who are temporarily deferred are given information to help them determine if they are eligible to give blood again in the coming months. The Red Cross encourages all donors who are temporarily deferred to try to give blood again if it is safe for them to do so.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Where do red blood cells get recycled in the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Red blood cells (RBCs) get recycled in the spleen. When RBCs are worn out, they head to the spleen. ...
What is meant by a universal blood donor?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Individuals with the blood group O Rh negative are called “universal donors” because their red blood...