What kind of doctor should I see for my bloating?

Patsy Catsos

Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian, or contact one on your own. Dietitians are food and nutrition experts and can help with food-related medical problems such as bloating. A dietitian will review your medical history and food preferences, and help you develop a meal plan to reduce bloating.

If you suffer from bloating and you want to be checked by a doctor, start with your internist or family physician. Your doctor may do a physical exam and ask you questions. If necessary, they may refer you to a specialist, such as a gastroenterologist, for further testing.

Continue Learning about Bloating

Bloating

Bloating

When intestinal gas isn't released through belching or flatulence (passing gas), you can end up with a bloated belly. There are simple steps you can take to stop bloating, from avoiding certain foods to eating more slowly. In some ...

cases bloating is related to conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or lactose intolerance. Learn more about causes of stomach bloating and ways to prevent it with expert advice from Sharecare.