Are split routines appropriate for basketball players?

Splitting the body into muscle groups that are trained on separate days is not the best way to train for athletic performance.  The body works as an integrated system of muscles and should be trained as a whole.  Further, split routines take a tremendous amount of time, and basketball players have agility drills, skills practice, and conditioning sessions to incorporate into their program as well.  For the recreational athlete, choose one exercises per muscle group, and train the whole body in one session. 30-45 minutes of resistance training 2-3 days a week is sufficient to increase strength and still leaves time for other training.

Continue Learning about Basketball

How do I improve my ability to hold position in the basketball key?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
To improve your ability to maintain position in the paint, you must train your core and glutes for s...
What speed drills should I do during basketball in-season training program?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
A great way to incorporate speed and agility drills in-season is during your pre-performance warmup....
What should I do in-season to maintain the gains I made in the off-season?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
In-season training is important and often times difficult to map out.  It must be tailored to your i...
What are the best exercises to increase leg strength for basketball?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
There are many great exercises that will develop lower body strength however my personal favorite fo...