What medical specialists can help treat autism?

Intermountain Healthcare
Intermountain Healthcare

Treatment for autism is a team effort. Here's who might participate:

  • Doctor (primary care doctor, psychiatrist, neurologist, or other)
  • Mental health specialist (counselor, therapist, school psychologist, or other)
  • Occupational therapist (helps a person with play/social skills, daily living skills, feeding skills, and sensory integration)
  • Speech-language pathologist (helps improve language, communication social skills, and learning skills -- and in some cases can also address feeding difficulties)
  • Care manager (person who can connect you to resources and help coordinate and reinforce treatment)
  • Family members (parents or spouses)
  • Teachers, school staff, coaches, and other key people in the life of a person with autism

As you put together a team for yourself or your child, keep in mind that you are the most important person on the team. You're in the best position to help make sure that treatments are working well together. Stay in touch with your care team. Let them know what's working and what isn't. Speak up if you feel you or your child isn't getting the help needed.

Continue Learning about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Treatments

What should I ask the doctors and therapists treating my autistic child?
What should I ask the doctors and therapists treating my autistic child? Remember, no questions you ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.