How are allergy shots used to treat asthma?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Allergens are substances that trigger an allergic response. If you have allergies, your doctor may prescribe injections to gradually expose you to increasing amounts of the allergen. This can help your body make substances that block the allergen's effects. It can also help reduce your sensitivity to the allergen and improve your symptoms.

The most common allergy shots are for allergies to dust mites, grasses, short ragweed, and cats. Treatments are also available for allergies to pollens and dogs. Treatments for allergies to cockroaches and mold have not been shown to be effective.

Allergy shots are sometimes prescribed for people who cannot avoid exposure to their allergens, have year-round symptoms, or do not get full relief with other medications. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Treat Your Asthma and Breathe Easier
Treat Your Asthma and Breathe Easier
Asthma is a chronic lung condition in which the airways are overly sensitive to certain triggers, leading to inflammation and narrowing of your air pa...
What should I know before taking inhaled corticosteroids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Inhaled corticosteroids have not been proven to be safe and effective for children of all ages. They...
What allergy treatments can help with asthma symptoms?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
If someone has asthma related to allergic symptoms, medications that control allergies (Claritin, Al...
How Can I Tell If My Asthma Treatment Is Working?