How are allergy shots used to treat asthma?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Allergens are substances that trigger an allergic response. If you have allergies, your doctor may prescribe injections to gradually expose you to increasing amounts of the allergen. This can help your body make substances that block the allergen's effects. It can also help reduce your sensitivity to the allergen and improve your symptoms.

The most common allergy shots are for allergies to dust mites, grasses, short ragweed, and cats. Treatments are also available for allergies to pollens and dogs. Treatments for allergies to cockroaches and mold have not been shown to be effective.

Allergy shots are sometimes prescribed for people who cannot avoid exposure to their allergens, have year-round symptoms, or do not get full relief with other medications. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

Treatments for Eosinophilic Asthma
Treatments for Eosinophilic Asthma
Eosinophilic asthma, or e-asthma, is a type of asthma associated with very high levels of eosinophils—a type of white blood cell that promotes inflamm...
How can I ensure I am getting the optimal treatment for my asthma?
Jennifer N. Caudle, DOJennifer N. Caudle, DO
To ensure optimal treatment for your asthma, you must communicate openly with your doctor about your...
How often should I see a doctor about my asthma?
How often you see your doctor about your asthma is variable and depends on how well your asthma is b...
How Does Stress Affect Asthma?
How Does Stress Affect Asthma?