How can I track the medication doses in my inhaler?

Here’s how to track:

1. Check the canister label to see how many “puffs” (metered doses or actuations) it contains.

2. Figure out how many puffs you will take per day (for example, 2 puffs, 2 times a day = 4 puffs a day).

3. Divide your answer from step 1 by your answer from step 2.

4. On the canister, write the date that you start the inhaler. Also write the date you should discard it (based on your calculations).

5. When you reach the “discard date,” throw away the canister and start a new one. If you keep an empty canister lying around, you’re likely to get it mixed up -- and then you won’t have medication when you need it.

Continue Learning about Asthma Inhalers

What should I know about Breo Ellipta before taking it?
Breo Ellipta is a long-acting medication to control asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
Who should take Breo?
Breo Ellipta is a medication for adults 18 and older with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary di...
What is an emergency inhaler?
MediGuardMediGuard
An emergency or rescue inhaler is typically a short acting bronchodilator medication such as albuter...
How Do I Know My Asthma Is Under Control?