What should I know before taking L-arginine?

Before you take L-arginine, you should know the supplement may affect certain medical conditions and medications, cause side effects, and increase certain risks.

Certain health conditions, such as allergies, asthma, recent heart attack, low blood pressure, herpes infection, and pregnancy, may complicate your use of L-arginine, and you should talk to your doctor before taking it.

L-arginine may interact with some medications, so tell you doctor that you are taking L-arginine before any new medicine is prescribed and ask your doctor before using it along with other medications.

L-arginine is known to interact with blood pressure medications, phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors, and nitrates. When used with these medications, L-arginine may lower blood pressure to unsafe levels.

Using L-arginine may increase the risk of bleeding, blood sugar levels, and potassium levels (especially if you have liver disease). If you are using blood thinners, antiplatelet drugs, or drugs to control blood sugar or if you have bleeding disorders or liver disease, talk to your doctor before taking L-arginine.

Do not take L-arginine if you are allergic to the ingredients of the supplement.

L-arginine has only been proven to be effective for some of its uses, so you may want to research how well L-arginine is known to treat your condition before you take it. As a dietary supplement, L-arginine is not regulated as well as prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Be careful to purchase it from a trustworthy company and do not assume that it is safe or effective just because it is sold in the United States.

Because medical studies have not yet proven the safety in using L-arginine while pregnant or nursing, it is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.

Continue Learning about Arginine

Will the amino acid L-arginine turn me into the Incredible Hulk?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When the muscle bound man who makes Arnold look wimpy talks on the commercial about how an amino aci...
How can L-arginine help me?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
So how can L-arginine help you?Do you have a few minutes?Sometimes the body has trouble eliminating ...
Who should not use L-arginine?
People with certain health conditions should not use L-arginine, including those with allergies, ast...
Is L-arginine safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
L-arginine is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. While L-arginine has been used to...