What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?

Most thyroid operations are performed under general anesthesia, which means you will be totally asleep during the procedure and a plastic tube will be placed in your windpipe (trachea) to help you breathe.

However, some thyroid operations are performed under “monitored anesthesia care” with a “cervical block”. This means the anesthesiologist will administer sedation medication through an IV (catheter in a vein) to make you relaxed, and the surgeon will inject numbing local anesthetic medication into the skin around your neck. Some surgeons routinely perform thyroid surgery in this way, while other thyroid surgeons prefer to use general anesthesia unless it is too risky (for example, if the patient has severe heart or lung disease). Ask your thyroid surgeon what kind of anesthesia will be used for your operation.

For more information go endocrinediseases.org:

http://endocrinediseases.org/thyroid/surgery_anesthetic.shtml

When you have thyroid surgery, you are given the option of either general anesthesia or local anesthesia. With local anesthesia, your neck area is numbed, mild sedatives may be given to reduce anxiety, and it is as if you are taking a nap during the operation. Since you will not be completely asleep, you can be in close communication with your surgeon throughout the operation. With general anesthesia you are completely asleep during the operation, and the same local anesthetic is given to your neck area to help eliminate any postoperative discomfort.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What type of anesthesia is used with a tummy tuck?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Normally, general anesthesia is required for a tummy tuck surgery. An abdominoplasty is a reasonably...
What type of anesthesia do I need for a breast lift?
I prefer general anesthesia for my breast lift patients. General anesthesia by a board certified ane...
What is ambulatory anesthesia?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambul...
What is the goal of giving general anesthesia?
Dr. Michael Roizen, Chief Wellness Officer for the Cleveland Clinic, explains the goal of giving pat...