How common is amenorrhea?

At any given time secondary amenorrhea occurs in less than five percent of women who have reached a reproductive age, and primary amenorrhea in less than one percent. However, there are several common conditions that can cause a disruption in the menstrual cycle, including: stress, poor nutrition, excessive exercise, or illness. Amenorrhea indicates an imbalance of normal bodily functions, but there are times when an absence of menstruation is considered normal and healthy. For example, before puberty occurs, during pregnancy or breastfeeding, or after menopause.

Continue Learning about Amenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my amenorrhea?
Menstrual irregularities can be normal for the first few years of menstruation following puberty, bu...
Is there a cure for primary amenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Depending on the cause of primary amenorrhea, a cure may be possible. Primary amenorrhea that is cau...
What is the duration of amenorrhea?
The duration of amenorrhea depends entirely on its cause. In some cases of primary amenorrhea caused...
What do I need to know when caring for someone with amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea can have a number of causes and can happen to almost any woman. If someone you know has n...